Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Great Gatsby

Last night the movie trailer for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby was released. Have you watched it yet?

Can we talk about how I don't even care about the plot or characters or who they cast, LOOK at that fashion! I have seen all of Baz Luhrmann's movies and all of the have had great style. Romeo and Juliet came out when I was in high school and I probably watched it over 10 times. Truthfully at the time I also wanted that kind of love but more important was the style of the movie. It was so visually stimulating that I felt like I saw something new every time I watched it.

I also enjoy his mix of modern music with period pieces, such as Moulin Rouge. I own this movie and after watching the trailer for the Great Gatsby I popped it in. Who doesn't love the cancan girls dancing to Christina Aquirlla's Lady Marmalade and the men dancing to Nirvina's Teen Spirit.

How you ever seen Strictly Ballroom? It was Baz Luhrmann's first movie and I watched it with my grandmother in theatre. I danced all through high school and I love dance movies more than any other type of movie. This movie is...well...different.

If you have never seen it, find it! It's a bit out there and it looks a bit dated, 1992, but it's great. Plus you're going to need something to hold you over till December when The Great Gatsby is released. I really wish he would make more movies but it takes time to make such visual movies. Fingers crossed that this is a good one!

Now I leave you with one of the most famous things Baz Luhrmann produced. Oh how I loved this, mostly since I was the class of '99.

No comments: