Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Vancouver, Vancouver!

Saturday night we set out in the wind and rain to see the closing night performance of Ballet BC's Season '08-'09 opener Nine Sinatra Songs. It was worth it. I am a big fan of ol' blues eyes as is my man, which was how I got him to go with me. The other bonus was that the dresses were by Oscar de la Renta. Three things I love all in one show, does it get any better? Well actually yes, the opening show for Ballet BC's new season was a three part treat.


The Program for the night started off with Schubert. Schubert is a three part ballet about the life of a ballerina. There was a loose story to the piece and I quite enjoyed the lead ballerina, Makaila Wallace. She was light on her feet and really conveyed the emotions on her face. It was a nice way to start the evening. 

After a short intermission there was Petrouchka. This one was quite different. I definitely had to read the program to get a sense of what was being conveyed in the dance but none the less the dancing was impeccable and I still quite enjoyed it. Not a beginner ballet to be taking a man to as it was slightly avant-garde for myself and I love the ballet.

After another short intermission it was time for some Frank Sinatra. This was AMAZING. I loved it. I'd have to call it ballroom inspired ballet. The songs were original Sinatra recordings, filling the Centre with his lush voice. I had goosebumps. The pairs were graceful and loving. One set of dancers even had humor playing like they didn't know how to dance together. If it was still on I would suggest you get yourself down there asap but it is not. I do suggest though that once this year you take yourself to the ballet.

BC Ballet's next show is The Faerie Queen. I saw this show a few years ago and loved it. It is new take on Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is a fun and colorful ballet good for all ages. If you go, please let me know what you think.



Here is what I wore to the show. This is one of my most treasured items. I found it at a thrift store on Cordova St. It was thirty dollars and as soon as I knew it fit, I knew it was coming home with me!
Dress: Deluxe Junk $30
Shoes: Aldo Outlet $20
Purse: Salvation Army Thrift Store $2
Ring: Sears $5
Earrings: Le Chateau $10

Cheers, 
Girl

2 comments:

KT said...

This is gorgeous on you!

Phyllis Bourne said...

Wow! What an elegant dress. Perfect for the ballet.

I'll bet it was awesome! Our ballet opened with The Bell Witch. The Sinatra Suite comes in February.